Wednesday, May 24, 2006
PM Abdullah made some wrong moves, says Mahathir
Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is disappointed with certain decisions made b y his handpicked successor, Abdullah Badawi, who took over the reins three years ago, according to Malaysiakini.com.
The former prime minister, however, refused to rate the performance of Abdullah, citing possible negative effects.
" I don't like to pass opinions on the present government's performance because that may have negative effects, so I just will miss out on that. That is my answer," he told malaysiakini editors during a 45-minute interview in his Petronas Twin Towers office in Kuala Lumpur last week.
As for his disappointment with the current administration, Proton and the half-bridge project topped the list.
" I am disappointed in what happened to Proton and also to the half-bridge," he said. He also revealed that it was the Malaysian government, and not Singapore, that had offered to sell sand as well as the use of Johor's airspace to the island state.
Mahathir argued that the offers were made at a meeting in 2004 between the two nations to get Singapore's agreement to the building of a straight bridge.
The sale of sand, in particular, was to the tune of one billion square metres, or 50 million square metres a year for 20 years, he said.
" That will make Singapore one-and-a-half times its present size. It will be suitable for a population of, maybe, 10 million," he added.
Just as Malaya was "cheated" into selling Singapore to the British for RM60,000 and Penang for RM10,000 then, the present government was selling sand - "a part of Malaysia" - to Singapore, claimed Mahathir.
Posted by Unknown at Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment