The Penang City Hall built in 1903 at a cost of 100,000 Straits Dollars. The British Empire style architecture or the Victorian-style public architecture reflected the growing prestige and affluence of Penang at the turn of the century.
Today it is the seat of the Penang Island Municipal Council, the oldest local authority in Malaysia. The municipal council was established in 1857.
The City Hall was gazette on 29 July 1984 under the Antiquities Act 168/1976, as an Ancient Monument and Historic Site.
Next to the City Hall is the Town Hall.