Thursday, May 25, 2006

Mahathir talks about famous sons and business

Former Malaysian Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said he did not ask his sons to divest their business as alleged by certain quarters.

" It's just that I have always stopped them from doing any business with the government. They can do business. I've never stopped them from doing business. But no business with the government, no candidature. People came to ask me to nominate my son as a candidate for parliamentary seat. I said, "No. Not while I'm prime minister."

Mahathir told malaysiakini.com that he did not want to give the impression that he is creating a dynasty.

But as far as business is concerned, they can do business, (but) not with the government.

"As a matter of principle, when I was prime minister, I did not allow my children, my wife, to be involved in business with the government. My wife, certainly not - no business at all. This is a matter of principle for me," Mahathir said in an exclusive interview with the internet media.

No comments: