Sunday, May 07, 2006

Imam Sheikh Ahmad Badjunid dies




At 6.20 am today, Sunday 7th May, I received SMS from my third cousin Syed Abdullah Aljunid that Imam Sheikh Ahmad bin Othman Badjunid of Kelawai, Penang died at 5.40 am. He was 93. He left five sons namely Prof. Dato Dr Ibrahim Bajunid, Dr Omar Farouk, Mokhtar, Abd Hamid and Abd Latiff. He was my teacher, my first Ustaz.

To my knowledge, he was the longest serving imam in Malaysia. He led prayers including Friday prayers at the Kelawai Road mosque until recently. He had served as imam for some 63 years. During that long period, he lead some 1,500 Friday prayers and about 110,000 daily prayers.

Ustaz Ahmad, as he was popularly known, was the last mudir or principal of the well-known private Islamic educational institution, Madrasatul Mashhur Islamic in Penang before it was taken over by the Education Ministry in the late 1970s. Thousands of Muslims from Penang, Kedah, Perak, Perlis and Kelantan were his students.

Words fail me to express my sorrow. I am with Ustaz's family in this hour of suffering and darkness. May Allah grant him peace in heaven.

My family join me in conveying our heartfelt condolence and sympathy to Ustaz's family. Alfatihah.

No comments: